Wednesday, December 17, 2014

The Big 4...

Four years ago (last night) I was getting ready to go to bed with the full knowledge that in the morning, my whole world would change. 

I was hugely pregnant with the twins, and I was still 3 weeks from my due date. The OB felt that it was too risky, with the boys in their yin-yang positions (Gamble on his back, facing up), to wait for me to go into labor.

I actually asked if we could wait until Monday - I wasn't really in a hurry to have my first-ever surgery, and welcome these aliens to the real world...I was just getting used to having them in there, well, at least I'd be able to see and touch my feet again, and sleep (little did I know...) and maybe my back wouldn't hurt so badly...oh and the trips to the bathroom! Man I hated that part, and I chugged water like a steam engine. I guess Friday is good.

We went in, waited and waited and waited (why did I need to be there so early?!). Finally, after hours without food or drink, they prepped me for surgery. I don't remember much from my drug-induced haze, but I remember the feel of them tugging the boys out, the boys peeing on the doctors (yes, both of them! oddly, they've never really been big on peeing on people, just things...) and how it felt when they sewed me back together. 

My mom wanted to make sure I was able to at least see the boys, and I got to hold Gage long enough for a photo. I don't really remember much after that, I know I slept - and they woke me up to try to feed the boys (we tried breastfeeding to start - lasted about 2 weeks). 

Now, 4 years later, it's impossible to imagine a life without them, because they're constantly here ;) 

They aren't in the same place, educationally, socially or emotionally, as other kids their age, but that's ok. They're making progress, they're mostly happy and they're healthy!

Happy birthday to my boys - who may frustrate me, make me want to scream and rip my hair out, but who also show me the most unconditional love I've ever seen. They're forgiving (or they forget, whatever) and love to cuddle. They're problem solvers - if they can't reach something, they'll put something there to stand on so that they can, if they really want it, that is. I don't know what our future holds, but I sure hope it keeps getting better with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment